Tobacco Use Supplement Sample Notes
The Tobacco Use Supplement (TUS), sponsored by the National Cancer Institute (NCI), collects data about current and former use of tobacco products, workplace smoking policies, and personal attitudes around smoking and tobacco use. Non-institutional civilians age 15 and above constitute the universe for this supplement, except for January 2007, May 2010, and January 2011, where the universe age is 18 and older, not 15. The first survey was implemented in September 1992. The 2003 Tobacco Use Special Cessation Supplement (TUSCS) cycle included a special set of smoking cessation questions, which included questions about methods and resources used to stop smoking, and the use of light cigarettes. The TUS occasionally utilizes the CPS panel design to create longitudinal cohorts or to implement follow-up surveys; see below for more information.
There have been eight full sets of Tobacco Use Supplement cycles, and two sets of abbreviated or follow-up series. Each cycle consists of three survey months. CPS Tobacco Use documentation states that state and substate-level analysis will be most reliable when using all three months of data in a survey cycle. All NCI analysis will be based on the average of all three months of a cycle. The user will have to ensure that they have requested all relevant months in a cycle. Note that when combining data from three months to form one cycle, survey weights should be divided by three to make the full sample nationally representative. The eight survey cycles are below:
- September, 1992; January, 1993; May, 1993
- September, 1995; January, 1996; May, 1996
- September, 1998; January, 1999; May, 1999
- January, 2000; May, 2000 (abbreviated TUS - longitudinal cohort possible, matching to January, 1999 or May, 1999)
- June, 2001; November, 2001; February, 2002
- February, 2003; June, 2003; November, 2003 (2003 TUSCS; longitudinal cohort possible, matching February, 2002 to February, 2003)
- May, 2006; August, 2006; January, 2007
- May, 2010; August, 2010; January, 2011
- May, 2011 (abbreviated follow-up to May, 2010 - longitudinal cohort possible, matching to May, 2010)
- July, 2014; January, 2015; May, 2015
TBSUPPWT is the weight variables for the tobacco supplements. In addition, there are two supplement-specific weights for the Tobacco Use Supplements. TNRWT is a "non-response" weight used when analyzing all responses of the tobacco supplement items. However, use TSRWT when analyzing only self-responses and excluding responses by proxies.