- Questionnaire Text
- UnHarmonized Variables
Codes and Frequencies
FSHUNGRMOCAT indicates how often in the past 30 days the respondent went hungry because they could not afford more food. This item is available only for households where the respondent reported going hungry in the past year (FSHUNGR).
Prior to 2019, FSHUNGRMOCAT responses ranged from 0-30 days. In 2019, a categorical system was introduced to reduce the risk of disclosing respondent identities. FSHUNGRMOCAT recodes responses in samples from before 2019 to use the 2019 categorical responses. The original continuous responses for those samples are available in FSHUNGRMO.
The questions used to construct this variable are two of the 18 items included in 30-day household food security scale, FSSTATUSM. Households are screened into this section of the supplement based on income and preliminary questions on food access (see FSSCREEN for more information).
This variable is part of the Food Security Supplement.
This variable is generally comparable over available years since 1995, and the universe is generally consistent since 1998. From 1998 onwards, both the preliminary screening questions and the internal screening questions that precede FSHUNGRMO are consistent over time. Specifically, only households that in the past year did not have enough to eat (FSFOODS), worried about running out of food (FSWROUTY), ran out of food (FSBUYMR), or did not eat balanced meals (FSBAL) continue on to answer FSHUNGR and FSHUNGRMO.
Prior to 1998, both the internal screeners and the screening procedures used to determine which households were screened into the food security assessment varied. Researchers need account for this when including data prior to 1998.
- Apr 1995: Households in which the respondent reported going hungry in the past year under the 1995 screening procedures.
- Sep 1996: Households in which the respondent reported going hungry in the past year under the 1996 screening procedures.
- Apr 1997: Households in which the respondent reported going hungry in the past year under the 1997 screening procedures and that were in months-in-samples 1-3 and 5-7.
- 1998-2021: Households in which the respondent reported going hungry in the past year under current screening procedures.
- Apr 2001: Households in which the respondent reported going hungry in the past year under current screening procedures and are in months-in-sample 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, and 8.
|2002 – 2021||-||-||-||-||-||-||-||-||-||-||-||X|