- Questionnaire Text
- UnHarmonized Variables
1962-1987: 99+ coded as 99
1988-January 2002: 90+ coded as 90
February 2002- March 2004: 80+ coded as 80
April 2004-onward: 80-84 coded as 80, 85+ coded as 85
NB: The original CPS documentation suggests that all 2002 Basic Monthly data have age topcoded at 90, however only January of 2002 has age values above 80. Similarly, original documentation suggests that all those with ages 85 and over are coded as 85 in all 2004 Basic Monthly files , however the value 85 only appears on the data beginning in April of that year.
Age gives each person's age at last birthday.
Apart from differences in the top-coded value, this variable is completely comparable across all years. However, there may be inaccurate age values in the 2003-2010 samples; see this page for more information.
Comparability with IPUMS-USA
Other than differences in the top-coded value, AGE is completely comparable in IPUMS-USA and IPUMS-CPS.
- 1962-1967 (ASEC): Persons age 14+ (pre-1968 samples do not include persons under age 14).
- 1968+ (ASEC): All persons.
- January 1976-December 1988, excluding October samples (non-ASEC): Persons age 14+
- 1976 October, 1977 October: Persons age 3+
- 1989+ (non-ASEC): All persons.
|1962 – 1975||-||-||X||-||-||-||-||-||-||-||-||-||-|
|1976 – 2022||X||X||X||X||X||X||X||X||X||X||X||X||X|