- Questionnaire Text
- UnHarmonized Variables
Codes and Frequencies
FSLOSEWT indicates whether the household respondent has lost weight in the past year because there was no money for food and they were not eating enough. This question is asked only of households that previously indicated food distress in the past year.
This question is of the 18 items used to construct in the 12-month household food security scale, FSSTATUS. Only households with incomes below 185% of poverty and higher income households that indicate food access problems in response to preliminary screening questions are included in the Food Sufficiency and Food Security section of the supplement. Within this section, there are two internal screeners within this section; FSLOSEWT is subject to the first of these screeners.
This variable is generally comparable over available years since 1995, and the universe is generally consistent since 1998. From 1998 onwards, only households that in the past year did not enough to eat (FSFOODS), worried about running out of food (FSWROUTY), ran out of food (FSBUYMR), or did not eat balanced meals (FSBAL) continue on to answer FSLOSEWT.
Prior to 1998, both the internal screeners and the screening procedures used to determine which households were screened into the food security assessment varied. Researchers need account for this when including data prior to 1998.
- Apr 1995: Households that meet 1995 poverty and food insufficiency screening criteria.
- Sep 1996: Households that meet 1996 poverty and food insufficiency screening criteria.
- Apr 1997: Households that meet 1997 poverty and food insufficiency screening criteria and are in months-in-sample 1-3 and 4-7.
- 1998-2018: Households that indicate food insufficiency and are screened into the food security assessment under current screening procedures.
- Apr 2001: Households that indicate food insufficiency and are screened into the food security assessment under current screening procedures and that are in months-in-sample 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, and 8.
|2002 – 2018||-||-||-||-||-||-||-||-||-||-||-||X|