- Questionnaire Text
- UnHarmonized Variables
This variable is not available for any of the currently selected samples.
PPAINT reports whether the respondent did visual arts activities, such as painting or sculpting, during the last 12 months. In 2012 through 2016, 2018, and 2020, respondents also indicated whether their spouse participated in these activities.
This variable is part of the Public Arts Supplement.
PPAINT is a Module C variable in the May 2008 sample and a Module D variable in the July 2012 sample. For more information on cores, modules, and weighting Public Arts variables, please see Weighting the IPUMS CPS Public Arts Supplement.
In the August 2002, May 2008, and July 2017 printmaking is included as an example activity. In all other years graphic design is included instead.
Supplement universes vary across years. The May 2008, July 2012, and July 2017 Public Arts Supplement has substantial differences in structure compared to other months. The May 2008, July 2012, and July 2017 surveys are divided into core and module sections. Which respondents and which variables are included in which core and module varies across years. For more information on Public Arts survey designs and implications for comparability and weighting, please see the Public Arts Supplement sample notes and Weighting the IPUMS CPS Public Arts Supplement.
- Aug 2002: Civilians age 18+ in rotation groups 4 and 8.
- May 2008: Selected civilians age 18+ in rotation groups 4 and 8.
- Jul 2012 and Jul 2017: Selected civilians age 18+ in rotation groups 3, 4, 7, and 8.
- Feb 2014, Feb 2016, and Feb 2018: Selected civilians age 18+ in rotation groups 3 and 7.
- Feb 2020: Selected civilians age 18+ in rotation groups 2, 3, 6, and 7.