- Questionnaire Text
- UnHarmonized Variables
Codes and Frequencies
REGION identifies the region and division where the housing unit was located. Unless otherwise noted in the comparability discussion, states are recoded into the following 1990 regional and divisional classification system:
1. Northeast Region
- New England Division: Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Vermont
- Middle Atlantic Division: New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania
2. Midwest (formerly North Central) Region
- East North Central Division: Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Ohio, Wisconsin
- West North Central Division: Iowa, Kansas, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota
3. South Region
- South Atlantic Division: Delaware, District of Columbia, Florida, Georgia, Maryland, North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia, West Virginia
- East South Central Division: Alabama, Kentucky, Mississippi, Tennessee
- West South Central Division: Arkansas, Louisiana , Oklahoma, Texas
4. West Region
- Mountain Division: Arizona, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, Utah, Wyoming
- Pacific Division: Alaska, California, Hawaii, Oregon, Washington
This variable is fully comparable for all years.
Comparability with IPUMS-USA
For the classifications mentioned above in the variable description, IPUMS-USA and IPUMS-CPS are fully comparable. A final broad category, "State Unknown," appears in some IPUMS census samples but is used in only a small number of miscoded cases in the early years of IPUMS-CPS.
- All households and group quarters.
|1962 – 1975||-||-||X||-||-||-||-||-||-||-||-||-||-|
|1976 – 2018||X||X||X||X||X||X||X||X||X||X||X||X||X|