- Questionnaire Text
- UnHarmonized Variables
This is a 4-digit numeric variable.
MHAGEMAR1 indicates the age in months at first marriage for some subset of ever-married females in all available samples, except for 1980 where males are included.
In 1976-1977, 1979-1983, and 1986-1988, this variable is calculated based on reported month and year of woman's birth and reported month and year of first marriage. In these samples, the CPS contains a variable that the documentation labels as "age in months at time of first marriage," however, these variables appear to indicate the length of first marriage in months instead.
In 1979, there is one never-married person who reports an age at first marriage. There are also several never-married persons in 1986-1988 who report an age at first marriage. These are not expected to be in-universe, but they appear in the original data.
This variable is a part of the CPS Fertility Supplement.
- Jun 1976: Females 14-59 who have ever been married.
- Jun 1979 and Jun 1977: Females 14-49 who have ever been married.
- Jun 1980: All respondents 15-75 who have ever been married.
- Jun 1981, Jun 1982, and Jun 1983: Females 15-59 who have ever been married.
- Jun 1988, Jun 1987, and Jun 1986: Females 18-44 who have ever been married.
- Jun 1990, Jun 1992, Jun 1995, and Jun 1994: Females 15-65 who have ever been married.
|1976 – 1977||-||-||-||-||-||X||-||-||-||-||-||-|
|1979 – 1983||-||-||-||-||-||X||-||-||-||-||-||-|
|1986 – 1988||-||-||-||-||-||X||-||-||-||-||-||-|
|1994 – 1995||-||-||-||-||-||X||-||-||-||-||-||-|