999.99 = N.I.U. (Not in Universe).
This variable is topcoded. More information on hourly wage topcoding can be found here.
HOURWAGE reports how much the respondent earned per hour in the current job, for those workers paid an hourly wage (and coded as "2" in PAIDHOUR). Amounts are expressed as they were reported to the interviewer; users must adjust for inflation using Consumer Price Index adjustment factors. Researchers should use the EARNWT weight with this variable.
Users should note that HOURWAGE originally had two implied decimal places, but was revised so that the command files provided by IPUMS divide HOURWAGE by 100.
HOURWAGE is one of the Outgoing Rotation/Earner Study questions.
Apart from the effects of inflation, this variable is comparable over time.
Information about hourly wage rates was collected beginning in 1982, as part of a series of questions about usual weekly and hourly earnings. The Census Bureau reports that the results in the CPS public use files for this data series included errors for ASEC files prior to 1989. As a result, these variables are only available in ASEC data through IPUMS CPS from 1989 forward. Monthly data is available from 1982 forward.
This is true for data from 1989 forward, but in the data itself, the universe for 1982 to 1988 is civilians age 14 and older in rotation groups 4 or 8 who are not self-employed.
In any given month, approximately 1/4 of the CPS sample is in the earner study and each household should appear in the earner study exactly twice. Based on documentation from Unicon and NBER, and after an inspection of the original CPS data, we recommend that users impose the CPS eligibility restrictions in any analyses of earner study variables.
- 1982-1988: Civilians 14+ currently employed as wage/salary workers, paid hourly, and in 2 (out of 8) rotation groups. Excludes self-employed persons.
- 1989-2001 (ASEC): Civilians 15+ currently employed as wage/salary workers and in 2 (out of 8) rotation groups. Excludes self-employed persons.
- 1989-1993: Civilians 15+ currently employed as wage/salary workers and in 2 (out of 8) rotation groups. Excludes self-employed persons.
- 1994-2019: Civilians 15+ currently employed as wage/salary workers and in 2 (out of 8) rotation groups. Excludes self-employed persons.
- 2002-2018 (ASEC): Civilians 15+ currently employed as wage/salary workers and were in outgoing rotation groups. Excludes self-employed persons.
|1982 – 1988||X||X||-||X||X||X||X||X||X||X||X||X||X|
|1989 – 2018||X||X||X||X||X||X||X||X||X||X||X||X||X|