- Questionnaire Text
- UnHarmonized Variables
This variable is not available for any of the currently selected samples.
FSHNGRCM indicates how frequently children in the household were hungry but did not eat due to lack of money for food in the past 30 days. This variable is available only in households where children went hungry in the past year (FSHNGRCH).
The questions used to construct this variable are two of the 8 items included in 30-day child food security scale, FSSTATUSMC and are also used to determine household food security status FSSTATUSM. Households are screened into this section of the supplement based on income and preliminary questions on food access (see FSSCREEN for more information). FSHNGRCH is subject to a second internal screener.
In 2019 the Census Bureau changed to a categorical system for continuous 30 day Food Security variables to reduce risk of disclosure. As a result, FSHNGRCM is not available after 2018. Instead, FSHNGRCMCAT is offered for 2019 forward and contains categorical recodes for all previous samples.
This variable is part of the Food Security Supplement.
This variable is generally comparable over available years since 1999. In 1995-1997, households were asked only whether children went hungry in the past month, not how often. In these years, reports of child hunger are coded as occurring "at least once".
The universe is generally consistent since 1998. From 1998 onwards, only households that in the past year relied on low-cost food to feed their children (FSLWCFDC), could not afford to feed their children a balanced meal (FSBALCH), or in which the children did not eat enough (FSENGHCH) continue on to answer FSHNGRCH and FSHNGRCM.
Prior to 1998, both the internal screeners and the screening procedures used to determine which households were screened into the food security assessment varied. Researchers need account for this when including data prior to 1998.
- Apr 1995: Households with children that reported children going hungry in past 12 months under 1995 screening criteria.
- Sep 1996: Households with children that reported children going hungry in past 12 months under 1996 screening criteria.
- Apr 1997: Households with children that reported children going hungry in past 12 months under 1997 screening criteria.
- Aug 1998 and Apr 1999: Households with children that reported children going hungry in past 12 months under current screening criteria and that are in months-in-sample 1-7.
- 2000-2018: Households with children that reported children going hungry in past 12 months under current screening criteria.
- Apr 2001: Households with children that reported children going hungry in past 12 months under current screening criteria and are in months-in-sample 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, and 8.
|2002 – 2018||-||-||-||-||-||-||-||-||-||-||-||X|