Codes and Frequencies
EDYRDIP indicates whether a person completed high school during the current calendar year or in some previous calendar year.
User caution: In 1985 and 1986, the original codebook indicates that a value of 1 should be equivalent to receiving a diploma in the current calendar year. However, there are no values of 1 in the source data. Following suggestions from UNICON and analysis of age distributions of EDYRDIP, we suspect codes in the source data are incorrect; we assume values of 2-7 in the source data are equivalent to 1-6 in other years and harmonize the data accordingly.
This variable is part of the Education Supplement
Apart from changes in the universe, EDYRDIP is comparable for all available years other than 1982, 1985, 1986, and 2001. Response options for the 1982 variable differ from other years by providing 1981, 1980, 1979, 1978, 1977, and 1976 or earlier as response options. The same pattern holds for 1985 and 1986. For the 2001 variable, "2000" and "1999 or before" were offered as response options. All other years offer the current year and the previous year or before as response options (e.g., 2004 response options are "2004" and "2003 or before").
- Oct 1976-1983: Persons 14-34 who are high school graduates
- Oct 1984-1988: Persons 14-24 who are high school graduates
- Oct 1989-1992: Persons 15-24 who are high school graduates
- Oct 1993: Persons age 15-29 who are high school or college graduates
- Oct 1994-2010: Persons 15-29 with a high school diploma or GED
- Oct 2011+: Persons 15-29 who have a high school diploma or GED, or who are not enrolled or are attending school for higher than 12th grade
|1976 – 2017||-||-||-||-||-||-||-||-||-||X||-||-|